DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2021 1:33:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi I was have submitted the code 00170 for general anesthesia performed by my Oral Surgeon with wisdom teeth extractions and used the modifier of 47 and I used to get paid but I am now getting it denied and I am not sure if they have a new modifier they want. I hope you can help.
Sharalee
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2021 9:06:50 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

Yes it does sound like you may want to consider a different coding scenario for this. Modifier 47 would typically be appended to the procedure itself that the anesthesia is being performed for, instead of the using CPT 00170.

Medicare, for example, lists the following as the correct and incorrect use of modifier 47:

Correct Use
- Regional/general anesthesia provided by surgeon/attending surgeon only
- Append to basic surgical service/procedure only

Incorrect Use
- Surgeon performs both surgery/anesthesia, separate payment not allowed
- Anesthesiologist not covered with this modifier
- Do not use with anesthesia codes or local anesthesia
- Do not use with moderate sedation (CPT 99143 - 99145)
- Do not use for monitoring general anesthesia provided by Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), intern, anesthesiologist or resident

Here is a link to the source of this information: https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jeb/topics/modifiers/47

When reporting 00170 on it's own, some payer require one of the following modifiers:
AA - Anesthesia services performed personally by anesthesiologist
AD - Medical supervision by a physician: more than four concurrent anesthesia procedures
QK - Medical direction of two, three, or four concurrent anesthesia procedures involving qualified individuals
QX - Crna service: with medical direction by a physician
QY - Medical direction of one certified registered nurse anesthetist (crna) by an anesthesiologist
QZ - Crna service: without medical direction by a physician

For example, Empire BCBS requires use of these modifiers for anesthesia services:
https://www11.empireblue.com/provider/noapplication/f5/s4/t0/pw_g310130.pdf?refer=ehpprovider

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply