DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.



New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2021 4:42:22 PM(UTC)

Rank: Guest

Joined: 9/8/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,452

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)

I had a tooth crack to the root years after getting a root canal. Endonotist siggested a dental implant. I had the tooth pulled & a bone graft done, and now my dental insurance is requiring me to file a claim with my medical insurance for the bone graft.

Could you share what the diagnosis code would be in this situation?

Thanks in advance.
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2021 9:47:20 AM(UTC)

Rank: Administration

Joined: 11/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,763

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

Great question. The ICD-10 diagnosis code(s) should be selected based on the patient's condition/symptoms, so you should verify this with your healthcare provider. However, it is common for atrophy diagnosis codes to be used for bone grafts:

K08.21 - Minimal atrophy of the mandible
K08.22 - Moderate atrophy of the mandible
K08.23 - Severe atrophy of the mandible
K08.24 - Minimal atrophy of maxilla
K08.25 - Moderate atrophy of the maxilla
K08.26 - Severe atrophy of the maxilla

K06.3 - Horizontal alveolar bone loss

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply
Forum Jump  
You can post new topics in this forum.
You can reply to topics in this forum.
You can delete your posts in this forum.
You can edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You can vote in polls in this forum.