DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2021 12:59:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Below are the following dental procedure codes. I need to turned those dental codes into medical codes, so that i can be reimbursed. Any help would be appreciated

D6793
D6752
D6242
D2335

Thanks
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2021 12:50:30 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

D6793 - provisional retainer crown - further treatment or completion of diagnosis necessary prior to final impression
D6752 - Retainer crown - porcelain fused to noble metal
D6242 - Pontic – porcelain fused to noble metal
D2335 - resin-based composite - four or more surfaces or involving incisal angle (anterior)

There are not direct crosscodes we are aware of for these services, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
m1z
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 6:33:05 PM(UTC)
m1z

Hi Courtney,

I posted this earlier today but thought I would reply to this other poster in hopes you would see and answer.

I shattered a tooth, it needed to be extracted, then received a bone graft, then finally implant placement with bone graft.

I spoke to my major medical, Blue Shield and they asked about pre-authorization. Who can help me with that? The periodontist's office? I hope not. They have been extremely uncooperative, but if that is the case, then so be it.

My dental codes are below. If you could offer any additional information you think I might need, it would be very helpful!

Codes are:

D7210
D7953
D7951
D6010

Thank you!
courtneydsnow
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2021 10:50:44 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi m1z!

For the pre-authorization, most medical insurance companies will allow a patient to initial/submit a pre-authorization request if the practice does not do it on behalf of the patient. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for a dental practice to be unfamiliar with working with medical insurers (our software & systems help dental practices with this!). If your dental practice is unable to imitate the pre-authorization for you, you can ask your medical insurer to supply you with a patient's request for pre-authroization. These forms are sometimes available on their website as well!

Typically, in addition to the procedure codes below, they will also ask you for ICD-10 (diagnosis) codes. The diagnosis code(s) used will depend on the condition/symptoms, or in other words, why are the services being rendered! For example, for a shattered tooth, some coding options are:
S02.5XXA - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for closed fracture
S02.5XXB - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for open fracture
G89.11 - Acute pain due to trauma

But, it all depends on the condition, and if it was accidental injury/trauma, there are even codes to describe how it happened! For example, W00.0XXA stands for: Fall on same level due to ice and snow, initial encounter). If you'd like to provide me some additional details about the condition, I'm happy to offer you some coding options.

As for the procedure codes you listed:

D7953 - bone replacement graft for ridge preservation - per site
Can be cross coded to:
21210 - Graft, bone; nasal, maxillary or malar areas (includes obtaining graft)
21215 - Graft, bone; mandible (includes obtaining graft)
**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

D7951 - sinus augmentation with bone or bone substitutes via a lateral open approach
can be crosscoded to:
21210 - graft, bone; nasal, maxillary, or malar areas
*use -52 modifier for reduced services when bone is not obtained from the patient

D6010 - surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant
can be cross coded to:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial(3 or less)

D7210 - Extraction, erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated

Extractions actually do not have direct crosscode - so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps!
 1 user thanked courtneydsnow for this useful post.
m1z on 8/11/2021(UTC)
m1z
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2021 12:06:29 PM(UTC)
m1z

Thank you so very, very much! You are truly a blessing. I am so grateful for the help and really needed someone that had a knowledgeable (medical/dental) industry answer. Blue Shield assisted me when I submitted for reimbursement of CT Scan, but they are also the payer, so to speak, so having this information is enormously helpful. You are providing a service that I was not aware I even needed before this. I am grateful you are online and most appreciative of these thorough answers. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2021 9:17:44 PM(UTC)

This seems like such a great website. Thank you for this information. I, too, like some other posters are completely lost. I asked my providers and they are uncooperative. Like the last poster, Blue Sheild has been really helpful but we can only ask for so much help.

So question: do you use the claim forms on blue shield? also it asks for you to upload invoices, etc. My invoice has dental codes on it, should I ask the provider to invoice me without the dental codes or does it matter to Blue Shield?

D9310-1 Spec Consult

D0383 Full Cone Beam CT Scan

D3348 Molar - Retreatment

D9999 Gentle Wave Procedure&/Laser/Ozone

D3347 Bicuspid - Retreatment

D0171 Post op

Can you help with these?
Thank you so so much!
#7 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2021 9:45:02 AM(UTC)

Courtney will be able to help you!

All dental/medical offices should be trained in cross coding. The procedure I went through is thousands of dollars. I do not know what Blue Shield will pay, but anything would be helpful!

Best of luck to you!
courtneydsnow
#8 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2021 10:31:24 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

Thanks of you for the kind words! We love what we do here.

D9310 - consultation - diagnostic service provided by dentist or physician other than requesting dentist or physician
can be crosscoded to a new or established patient evaluation & management (E&M) codes - 99202-99205 (new patients), or 99211-99215 (established patient):

New patients:
99202 – 15-29 mins
99203 – 30-44 mins
99204 – 45-59 mins
99205 – 60-74 mins

Established patients:
99212 – 10-19 mins
99213 – 20-29 mins
99214 – 30-39 mins
99215 – 40-54 mins

D0171 - re-evaluation – post-operative office visit
can be crosscoded to an established patient evaluation & management (E&M) code - 99211-99215:
99211 - under 10 minutes
99212 – 10-19 mins
99213 – 20-29 mins
99214 – 30-39 mins
99215 – 40-54 mins

D0383
- Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium

There is actually not currently a specific CPT code for Cone Beam CT (CBCT)……the closest CPT code is: “70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material”. Some medical payers state in their policy that 70486 should be used for CBCT, for example, United Healthcare & Evicore state this in their radiology medical coverage policy. However, some medical insurers may perfer a different code when used for CBCT because the description of 70486 does not specify “cone beam”.

So, “76497 - Unlisted computed tomography procedure (eg, diagnostic, interventional)” is an option to use (keep in mind you'll need to provide a narrative description for unlisted codes)
We also see practices billing out for "76102 - Radiologic examination, complex motion (ie, hypercycloidal) body section (eg, mastoid polytomography), other than with urography; bilateral"

D3348 - retreatment of previous root canal therapy - molar
D3347 - retreatment of previous root canal therapy - premolar
D9999 - unspecified adjunctive procedure, by report

The codes listed above do not have direct crosscodes we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT codes below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Now, as far as the claim form - if the provider's office is sending the claim on your behalf, they will use the universal medical claim form called the CMS1500. However, when a patient files their own claim, the insurer will typically provide a simplified version intended for patient use.
For the invoice: it *should not* matter if the dental codes appear of the invoice. As mentioned, some medical insurers can even process the "D" codes on the claim! But, some won't and require the corresponding CPT codes instead.

Hope this helps!
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 5:13:40 PM(UTC)

Courtney, thank you so so much! You have helped so much!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply