Nierman Practice Management Logo
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Connect with us on Linked In
View demos and More on You Tube
DentalWriter Software Logo 1-800-879-6468
Login   Register Here



New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2021 11:59:02 AM(UTC)

Rank: Guest

Joined: 9/8/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,176

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'm a patient, and the endodontic practice I received treatments at does not know the appropriate CPT codes to file medical claims. Does anybody know or can point me in the right direction for the following codes: D9110, D0380, D4320, D7270, D3310, D2330. Insurance is UHC if that helps. Tooth 8 and 9 were luxated upon impact with ground after fall.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 12, 2021 1:11:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2021 4:44:45 PM(UTC)

Rank: Administration

Joined: 11/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,525

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Guest!

D9110 - palliative (emergency) treatment of dental pain - minor procedure

First, you will select an evaluation and management (E&M)/office visit code - such as 99202 for a new patient, or 99211 or 99212 for an established patient)

Then, to indicate it was an emergency service, you can choose one of the following:

99050 — Services provided in the office at time other than regularly scheduled office hours, or days when the office is closed (e.g., holidays Saturday or Sunday), in addition to basic service

Or, if it was during regular office hours but disrupted the schedule:

99058 - Service(s) provided on an emergency basis in the office, which disrupts other scheduled office services, in addition to basic service

D0380 - Cone beam CT image capture with limited field of view - less than one whole jaw
can be crosscoded to:
70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material

D7270 - Tooth reimplantation and/or stabilization of accidentally evulsed or displaced tooth

In Aetna's crosswalk for "Oral Surgery Medical In Nature", the crosscode for D7270 is listed as:

21140 - Closed treatment of mandibular or maxillary alveolar ridge fracture (separate procedure)

or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure(s):
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

- provisional splinting - intracoronal
D3310 - endodontic therapy anterior tooth (excluding final restoration)
D2330 - resin-based composite - one surface, anterior

The three codes listed above do not have direct crosscodes we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

You will also need diagnosis codes to describe the trauma/damage to the teeth as well as the accident. For example, based on what you described, you may consider:

S03.2XXA - Dislocation of tooth, initial encounter
G89.11 - Acute pain due to trauma
V18.0XXA - Pedal cycle driver injured in noncollision transport accident in nontraffic accident, initial encounter

We recommend you confirm these diagnostic codes with your provider.

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply
Forum Jump  
You can post new topics in this forum.
You can reply to topics in this forum.
You can delete your posts in this forum.
You can edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You can vote in polls in this forum.