DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
ajsorkin
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 3:26:48 PM(UTC)
ajsorkin

Hi Dr. Patel,

After subjective symptoms of OSA have resolved (ie, feeling well rested in am, snoring cessation,etc), I typically send the patient home with a pulse oximeter (Virtuox Ultra Wrist)for screening purposes only. I was taught that we want % time SpO2 below 90 to be 1% or less and the ODI (3 % events/hr) to be less than 5. Lately, I have been getting back results that have been worsening as I titrate the device forward and have seen wild fluctuations in the time below 90%. For example, the most recent patient used the pulse ox for 4 nights and was 17.5%, 10.5%,18.4%,and 53.7%. That was his second time being titrated forward. The first time, his % below 90 was 5.4% and 38.2%. Obviously, his ODI was nowhere near 5. Do you commonly see these fluctuations? I understand that other factors like position and alcohol use play a role but I was hoping to get consistent results before sending them for a follow-up HST or PSG.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:47:18 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Dr. Sorkin!

Here is Dr. Patel's response!

"Yes night by night variability can explain the findings. If you have a Type 3 testing unit that has more channels you can get to see more then just one signal of oxygen."
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply