DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   More BBCode Tags Check Spelling
Font Color: Font Size:
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
courtneydsnow Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2022 7:56:48 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

D7451 - removal of benign odontogenic cyst or tumor - lesion diameter greater than 1.25 cm
D7240 - Removal of impacted tooth - completely bony

Yes, it is common in medical billing for dental practices to bill an extraction as well as a removal of a cyst or tumor.

Hope this helps!

Guest Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 4:54:53 PM(UTC)

Can you bill D7451 with D7240 on the same tooth?
courtneydsnow Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2021 2:23:43 PM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

Based on what you described, here are some ICD-10 (diagnosis) coding options:

One or both of these:
S02.5XXA - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for closed fracture
S02.5XXB - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for open fracture

And this one if applicable:
G89.11 - Acute pain due to trauma

You will also want to provide a code that describes the accident (there are tons and are very specific!). If you'd like to provide me with details about the accident & how it happened, i'm happy to offer you some coding options.

As for the crowns, there are not direct crosscodes for this service, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Thursday, November 4, 2021 10:41:54 AM(UTC)

Help! I need to bill an initial office visit and xrays due to an accident causing multiple cracked teeth. And I also need to bill for 8 crowns for all of the cracked teeth also due to trauma. Can someone help me with all the codes? I am so confused!
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 8:07:33 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

To determine the proper diagnosis code(s), it all depends on why the patient is receiving the services. Some common diagnosis codes used when bone grafts are being performed are:

K08.21 - Minimal atrophy of the mandible
K08.22 - Moderate atrophy of the mandible
K08.23 - Severe atrophy of the mandible
K08.24 - Minimal atrophy of maxilla
K08.25 - Moderate atrophy of the maxilla
K08.26 - Severe atrophy of the maxilla

However, if they are being performed due to a traumatic accident, a tumor removal, or a different reason - there are separate codes for that. If you'd like to provide additional details about the patient's condition/symptoms, I am happy to offer you some coding options.

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Monday, August 9, 2021 3:34:18 PM(UTC)

Hi There!
I need a little help with finding the the ICD-10 codes to bill a patients medical before sending it to Dental Ins. can you help me with

D7250-Surgical removal of residual tooth roots

D7953-Bonegrafts

The Medical Insurance Rep I spoke to told me that these codes should be fine for a medical claim but now I need the ICD-10 codes

courtneydsnow Posted: Monday, August 9, 2021 10:07:33 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

D7953
- bone replacement graft for ridge preservation - per site
Can be cross coded to:
21210 - Graft, bone; nasal, maxillary or malar areas (includes obtaining graft)
21215 - Graft, bone; mandible (includes obtaining graft)
**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

D7210 - Extraction, erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated

The codes listed above do not have direct crosscodes we are aware of - so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Sunday, August 8, 2021 4:41:42 AM(UTC)

Hello. I need assistance finding the correct medical codes to use to submit claim to Medical because dental denied d/t it being a medical procedure. The codes I have from the dentist are D7210 and D7953
Please help
courtneydsnow Posted: Friday, July 2, 2021 9:30:25 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

D7210 - Extraction, erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated

As for the CPT code for extractions, there is actually not direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

For the ICD (diagnosis) code(s) - this will depend on your condition - in other words, why where the services performed?
For example, a common diagnostic code used for extraction is:
K01.1 - Impacted teeth

However, if the extractions were done for another reason (i.e. an accidental injury, tumor removal, etc) - if you'd like to provide some additional details on the condition that led to the extraction I am happy to offer some coding options.

Hope this helps!
courtneydsnow Posted: Friday, July 2, 2021 9:25:37 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

There is actually not currently a specific CPT code for CBCT……the closest CPT code is: “70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material”. Many offices have been using this for some time for CBCT, and some insurers require this code to be used for CBCT (i.e. United Healthcare states to use 70486 in their radiology medical policy). However, some medical insurers are auditing that code when used for CBCT because the description does not specify “cone beam”.

So, “76497 - Unlisted computed tomography procedure (eg, diagnostic, interventional)” is an option to use (keep in mind you'll need to provide a narrative description for unlisted codes) We also see practices billing out for "76102 - Radiologic examination, complex motion (ie, hypercycloidal) body section (eg, mastoid polytomography), other than with urography; bilateral"

Hope this helps!