DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:25:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hello, we are in network with Presbyterian Health Plan. It's time to renew our contract, they send over proposal using code E1700 (Jaw Motion rehabilitation System) can you tell me if this would me used for a JVA (joint vibration system) ? Or what the code is? The cross code only said other TMJ?
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2016 4:30:29 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi guest!

Great question. I don't believe E1700 is an appropriate code for JVA, as JVA is more of a diagnostic system rather than a treatment/rehab.

I believe products such as the Therabite would be what is considered a Jaw motion rehabilitation system, here is a link to info on it:

http://www.craniorehab.com/therabite-jaw-motion-rehab-system.html

And here is a medical policy from Aetna that covers Jaw motion rehabilitation systems:

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/400_499/0412.html

The only indication listed that it would be covered/considered medically necessary for is "to treat mandibular hypomobility caused by radiation in persons with head and neck cancers."
TMD is listed as experimental & investigational

As for a code for the JVA, we are not aware of a specific medical code for it. Some offices have used 77077, however the description on that code is: Joint survey, single view, 2 or more joints (specify)
So, it may not be appropriate as the JVA is not an xray.
The closest code we have been able to locate is:
76536 - Diagnostic ultrasound exam of the head and neck area

But also, keep in mind that most insurers list JVA as "experimental & investigational" as well so no coverage is offered for it.

Hope this helps, have a great day!
 1 user thanked courtneydsnow for this useful post.
Dr. Cho on 3/17/2016(UTC)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply