DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
talk2us@finetunegums.com
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:08:53 PM(UTC)
talk2us@finetunegums.com

I have spent a better part of my morning researching whether of not Medicare DME covers for TMD device or any type of treatment (Botox injections) and this is about all I can find on it:

"150.1 - Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome
(Rev. 1, 10-01-03)
PASS memo Read.014
There are a wide variety of conditions that can be characterized as TMJ, and an equally wide variety of methods for treating these conditions. Many of the procedures fall within the Medicare program’s statutory exclusion that prohibits payment for items and services that have not been demonstrated to be reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis and treatment of illness or injury (§1862(a)(1) of the Act). Other services and appliances used to treat TMJ fall within the Medicare program’s statutory exclusion at 1862(a)(12), which prohibits payment “for services in connection with the care, treatment, filling, removal, or replacement of teeth or structures directly supporting teeth....” For these reasons, a diagnosis of TMJ on a claim is insufficient. The actual condition or symptom must be determined."

When we treat TMD wearen't "...treating, filling removing or replacing teeth..." The modalities we use in our office are hot/cold packs, TMD devices and BOTOX injections.

Also the codes E1700-E1702 keep coming up but can't find much more that these are DME items.

Long story short, are these items covered by Medicare? And what are these E1700 codes?

Thank you!

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply