Nierman Practice Management Logo
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Connect with us on Linked In
View demos and More on You Tube
DentalWriter Software Logo 1-800-879-6468
Login   Register Here



New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:38:38 PM(UTC)

Rank: Guest

Joined: 9/8/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,106

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Front tooth was broken under the gum line due to trauma. The medical insurance dental rider covers this repair but we have been frustrated as the dental office is unfamiliar with medical claims submissions and the insurance provider is completely unhelpful.

We need to find the medical insurance codes to finish the permanent tooth installation:
D6057 - Custom abutment
D6058 - Permanent crown

Can you provide the corresponding medical codes?


#2 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:07:08 PM(UTC)

Rank: Administration

Joined: 11/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,463

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Hi Guest!

No problem, based on what you described, here are some coding options below:

ICD (diagnosis)
S02.5XXA - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for closed fracture
S02.5XXB - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for open fracture

CPT (procedure)
D6057 - custom fabricated abutment - includes placement
D6058 - abutment supported porcelain/ceramic crown

The codes listed above does not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply
Forum Jump  
You can post new topics in this forum.
You can reply to topics in this forum.
You can delete your posts in this forum.
You can edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You can vote in polls in this forum.