DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:28:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Good Morning!

I was wondering if there was a way to bill medical insurance for increased PPE needed for procedures. With some dental insurance policies allowing for D1999 with a narrative I was hoping there was an option for medical. The research I have done has not led me to any answer.

Thank you for your help!1
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 8:28:40 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

Great question. The consensus for medical appears to be:

- Typically, two pairs of non-sterile gloves are already including in the medical supply package for every Evaluation and Management (E/M) service
- You may separately report other PPE items using CPT code 99070, which stands for: Supplies and materials (except spectacles), provided by the physician or other qualified health care professional over and above those usually included with the office visit or other services rendered (list drugs, trays, supplies, or materials provided)

Explaining what 99070 is being used to represent should be included in your narrative report and/or in the supplemental information area on the line item in field 24 (the red shaded line), preceded by "ZZ".

Hope this helps!
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:53:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Thank you!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply