DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 11:16:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi there,
I am looking for a CDT code to CPT code for several codes. My son had a bike accident and hit a boulder with his mouth (we now have face shield bike helmets!). He had a tooth avulsed, and a couple years later baby teeth die around the avulsed tooth. He needed opposite side extractions and a space maintainer. Medical insurance agreed to pay for the work already referencing the dental codes, but now are asking for CPT codes and dental offices say they won't bill medical codes. I can submit the bill, but I don't know how to get the codes. I've looked online, but many codes are from years ago and I don't know if they are current. Stuck between med/dent worlds.

Thank you very much in advance

D0140 - exam

D0220 - Intraoral periapical images

D0230 - additional periapical image

D9230 - Nitrous

D7140 - extractions

D1517 - mandibular space maintainer

courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:32:49 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

D0140 - limited oral evaluation - problem focused
Can be crosscoded to:
99201 - Office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of a new patient, which requires these 3 key components: A problem focused history; A problem focused examination; Straightforward medical decision making. Counseling and/or coordination of care with other physicians, other qualified health care professionals, or agencies are provided consistent with the nature of the problem(s) and the patient's and/or family's needs. Usually, the presenting problem(s) are self limited or minor. Typically, 10 minutes are spent face-to-face with the patient and/or family.
or
99211 - Office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of an established patient, that may not require the presence of a physician or other qualified health care professional. Usually, the presenting problem(s) are minimal. Typically, 5 minutes are spent performing or supervising these services.

D0220 - intraoral - periapical first radiographic image
can be cross coded to:
70300 - Radiologic examination, teeth; single view

D0230 - intraoral - periapical each additional radiographic image
Can be cross coded to:
70310 - Radiologic examination, teeth; partial examination, less than full mouth

As for nitrous, extractions & space maintainers (D9230, D7140 & D1517), there are not direct crosscodes we are aware of for these procedures, so you can either use the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply