DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 12:30:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Can someone give me the medical code for dental socket bone graft? a ct scan? i have no idea how to bill for medical my boss says figure it out. ugh. i need both procedure code and diagnoses codes. implants, exams, any codes that have to deal with oral surgery from a dentist billing to medical would be helpful. i hate not knowing and trying to google send it in and have it come back. help....... thank you so much in advance for any help at all.
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 4:37:09 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

Here are the CPT codes for bone grafts:

21210 - graft, bone; nasal, maxillary, or malar areas
or,
21215 - graft, mandibular

**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

As for CT scan:

70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material

or, if it is a CBCT:
76102 - Radiologic examination, complex motion (ie, hypercycloidal) body section (eg, mastoid polytomography), other than with urography; bilateral

As for implants:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial(3or less)
21249 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); complete (4 or more)

exams/office visits:
these are billed in medical as Evaluation & Management (E&M) codes - new patients 99201 through 99205, and established patients as 99211-99215.

For the diagnosis code(s), that all depends on that patient's condition/why the services are being done. For example, if these services are being done due to atrophy, here are some coding options:

K08.21 - Minimal atrophy of the mandible
K08.22 - Moderate atrophy of the mandible
K08.23 - Severe atrophy of the mandible
K08.24 - Minimal atrophy of maxilla
K08.25 - Moderate atrophy of the maxilla
K08.26 - Severe atrophy of the maxilla

We host wonderful seminars across the country for dental practices billing medical insurance for sleep apnea, TMJD and oral surgery services. It sounds like this would be very beneficial to you! Here is link to our 2020 seminar schedule:
https://niermanpm.com/dental-continuing-education/schedule

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply