DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:50:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I am trying to submit a Pre- Authorization for a patient who needs an implant on the top left area. I have most of the codes needed. But I am having a hard time finding D0393 D6190.

So Far I have
D6010Implant = 21240
D6104Bone Graft= 21210
D6056 Abut= 41899
D6065 Porcelain Crown over implant= 41899
D0393?
D6190?

thank you
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:45:57 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

D6010
- surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant
can be cross coded to:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial(3or less)
21249 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); complete (4 or more)

D6104 - bone graft at time of implant placement
can be crosscoded to:
21210 - graft, bone; nasal, maxillary, or malar areas
21215 - graft, mandibular
**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

D6190 - radiographic/surgical implant index, by report
D0393 - treatment simulation using 3D image volume
D6056 - prefabricated abutment - includes modification and placement
D6065 - implant supported porcelain/ceramic crown

The codes listed above do not have direct crosscodes we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can try the CPT codes below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:20:38 PM(UTC)

Using the above as an example, you suggest using 41899 for the four "D" codes without direct crosscodes.

Does that mean on the CMS1500, one would list code 41899 four times for the four D codes each with a narrative?

Also what amount would need to be stated when the 41899 is listed? Would it be $0 and the payer pays according to the narrative? Or should an actual amount be stated for each 41899 code?

Thank you.
courtneydsnow
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 8:51:52 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

Yes correct, if the medical insurer you are filing with will not process "D" codes, then you will likely have 41899 on more than 1 line item on the claim.

A good way to differentiate the different services on the claim to make it easier for the medical insurer to identify what service 41899 is representing on each line item is to utilize the "supplemental information" line on those line items (the red shaded line of each line item that is usually left blank).

For example, if you want to put a quick narrative description of what the service is, you can enter the qualifier "ZZ", then type a short description.

Or for example, let's say you did extractions on teeth #123456&7. For services like these, you could choose to utilize the JO & JP qualifiers in the supplemental section of the line item. The JO & JP qualifiers represent tooth numbers and areas of the oral cavity for medical claims.

The following are the codes for tooth numbers, reported with the JP qualifier:
• 1 –32: Permanent dentition
• 51 –82: Permanent supernumerary dentition
• A –T: Primary dentition
• AS –TS: Primary supernumerary dentition

The following are the codes for areas of the oral cavity, reported with the JO qualifier:
• 00 : Entire oral cavity
• 01 : Maxillary arch
• 02 : Mandibular arch
• 10 : Upper right quadrant
• 20 : Upper left quadrant
• 30 : Lower left quadrant
• 40: Lower right quadrant

So, in the extraction example above - I would code 41899, and then in the supplemental information section of the line item, I would enter: JP1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Examples of how this would look on the medical claim can be found in the NUCC's CMS 1500 claim form manual here, starting on page 46 & 47:
http://www.nucc.org/images/stories/PDF/1500_claim_form_instruction_manual_2012_02-v5.pdf

And yes you should always enter the fee you wish to charge in the charge per unit field on the medical claim. The insurer will not assume a fee for you based on information in a narrative report.

Hope this helps, have a great day!
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:00:40 PM(UTC)

Thank you so much. That clears up a lot of confusion.

You have no idea how informative your responses have been. I have scoured the internet looking for info on dental billing. This site and your explanations are truly the best. I have just about read every thread on this forum and have learned so much.

I don't think you get the appreciation deserved. Thank you so much.
 1 user thanked Guest for this useful post.
courtneydsnow on 4/12/2018(UTC)
courtneydsnow
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:18:42 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Wow thank you so much for the kind words, and you're very welcome!
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:25:44 PM(UTC)

Hello. This is the same poster from above.

Basically wondering if you would kindly review the following for an example implant.
History of patient - is diabetic, has previous other implants, needs an extraction and new implant at #6.

ICD 10
K05.30 - Chronic periodontitis, unspecified
Z97.2 - Presence of dental prosthetic device (complete) (partial)
E11.630 - Type 2 diabetes mellitus with periodontal disease

CPT
• 99213 - level 3 office or other outpatient established office patient visit

for D6010 Custom implant & placement:
• 21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial (3 or less)
- supplemental info - JP6

for D6057 Custom abutment & placement:
• 41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures
- modifier ZZ then for supplemental info - JP6 Custom abutment & placement (or does the narrative need to be more detailed?)

for D6059 Custom implant crown & placement:
- modifier ZZ then for supplemental info - JP6 Custom implant crown & placement (or does the narrative need to be more detailed?)

for D7953 Bone graft:
• 21210 - Graft, bone; nasal, maxillary or malar areas (includes obtaining graft)

for D7951 Sinus lift crestal:
• 21210 - Graft, bone; nasal, maxillary or malar areas (includes obtaining graft)

for D7210 Surgical extraction:
- modifier ZZ then for supplemental info - JP6 Extraction, erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated (More detailed?)

for D7921 Coll/App autologous blood conc:
- modifier ZZ then for supplemental info - Collection and application of autologous blood concentrate product (More detailed?)

Is it ok to list 21210 twice? From what I can see searching, 21210 has an MUE of 2 so listing it twice appears to be ok.
From your previous reply, it is allowable listing 41899 for different procedures four times. I was unable to find an MUE for 41899.

Thank you again for your help.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:26:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

courtneydsnow
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 7:54:12 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

Good work, your coding options look good to me! Just don't forget to use the -52 modifier for your bone grafts/sinus lifts if the bone is not harvested from the patient.

The supplemental information you selected looks great. You don't necessarily need to put both the JP/JO qualifier as well as the codes description in the supplemental information line of the claim form (although that may not be a had idea at all!) - most of the time you'll just use either the JP/JO qualifiers, or the "ZZ" description. Either way, yes you will likely need to offer a bit more explanation in your supporting documentation that will likely be requested when you submit the claim :)

And great question on the frequency of listing 41899 on the medical claim - I have not yet run into any practices that had problems listing that code multiple time to stand for different procedures. Especially when you get into restorative type services for accident cases for example - there many times are not specific CPT codes for many procedures that are covered....so if they won't take the "D" codes, then they pretty much have to let you list that code multiple times!! :)

Hope this helps!

#9 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:41:43 PM(UTC)

Thank you again so much for your help.
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:31:48 PM(UTC)

Hi, I have an urgent request for crosscoding the following dental codes and my insurance company won't give them to me or helping at all. I have a hole internally in my face from a bad root canal infection and terrible front face fall in my front tooth 10 years ago. This tooth needs to get extracted as soon as possible and out of pocket will cost $10K and I can't afford to pay that. My medical insurance said they will consider reviewing the claim if I am able to crosscode the dental codes to medical. I don't know where to begin and noone will help me. I am in terrible pain with horrible headaches and starting to feel sick everyday. Please help...

Here are the dental codes I urgently need crosscoded to medical:

D6190
D7999
D9215
D7140
D0364

D4266
D4273
D4264

D6010
courtneydsnow
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:40:37 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

D9215 - Local anesthesia in conjunction with operative or surgical procedures
can be crosscoded to:
00170 - Anesthesia for intraoral procedures, including biopsy; not otherwise specified
00190 - Anesthesia for procedures on facial bones or skull; not otherwise specified

D0364 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation with limited field of view - less than one whole jaw
can be cross coded to:
76497 - Unlisted computed tomography procedure (eg, diagnostic, interventional)

D4266 - guided tissue regeneration - resorbable barrier, per site
D4273 - autogenous connective tissue graft procedure (including donor and recipient surgical sites) first tooth, implant, or edentulous tooth position in graft
can be cross coded to:
41870 - Periodontal mucosal grafting

D4264 - bone replacement graft - each additional site in quadrant
can be crosscoded to:
21210 - graft, bone; nasal, maxillary, or malar areas
21215 - graft, mandibular

D6010 - surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant
can be cross coded to:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial(3or less)
21249 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); complete (4 or more)

D6190 - radiographic/surgical implant index, by report
D7999 - unspecified oral surgery procedure, by report
D7140 - Extraction, erupted tooth or exposed root (elevation and/or forceps removal)

The codes listed above do not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply