DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   More BBCode Tags Check Spelling
Font Color: Font Size:
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Guest Posted: Monday, February 26, 2024 9:15:33 AM(UTC)

Could I get help converting D8220?
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2023 8:52:08 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

D7953 - bone replacement graft for ridge preservation - per site
and
D7951 - sinus augmentation with bone or bone substitutes via a lateral open approach
for an upper tooth, can be cross coded to:
21210 - Graft, bone; nasal, maxillary or malar areas (includes obtaining graft)
**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

D9222 – deep sedation/general anesthesia – first 15 minutes
and
D9223 – deep sedation/general anesthesia – each additional 15 minutes
can be crosscoded to:

00170 - Anesthesia for intraoral procedures, including biopsy; not otherwise specified
00172 - Anesthesia for intraoral procedures, including biopsy; repair of cleft palate
00174 - Anesthesia for intraoral procedures, including biopsy; excision of retropharyngeal tumor
00176 - Anesthesia for intraoral procedures, including biopsy; radical surgery

D6010 - surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant
can be cross coded to:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial
21249 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); complete

D7140 - Extraction, erupted tooth or exposed root (elevation and/or forceps removal)
D7956 - guided tissue regeneration, edentulous area – resorbable barrier, per site
D6190 - radiographic/surgical implant index, by report

The codes listed above do not have a direct crosscode we are aware of - many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Monday, April 10, 2023 1:56:09 PM(UTC)

Can I get some help with dental codes to CPT codes I have a medical condition that is eating away at my teeth the codes i got from the oral surgeon are

D7140
D7953
D7956
D9222
D6010B
D6190

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 1:27:40 PM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

D8080- Comprehensive orthodontic treatment of the adolescent dentition

Ortho does not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services - but since your insurer will not, or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Or, we have seen a few insurers accept this code for ortho:
21110 - Application of interdental fixation device for conditions other than fracture or dislocation, includes removal

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 12:35:00 PM(UTC)

My child has a repaired cleft palate and has had surgeries through the craniofacial department at Children's in Seattle. She received braces when she turned 14 through their dental department. Our insurance supposedly covers this cost since she it is part of her craniofacial treatment. However, Children's billed out insurance with dental codes that our insurance will not accept. They are asking for medical codes, but Children's uses the D8080 dental code. Is there a medical code conversion? We have been battling this claim for two years. Sadly, she needs braces put on again next year and we haven't paid for the first set.
courtneydsnow Posted: Friday, November 11, 2022 12:21:02 PM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

Absolutely:

For the bone grafts:

21210 - Graft, bone; nasal, maxillary or malar areas (includes obtaining graft)
21215 - Graft, bone; mandible (includes obtaining graft)
**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

For the implants:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial
21249 - 21249 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); complete (4 or more)

Dentures do not have a direct crosscode - so you can either bill the "D" code (dental code) on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2022 3:25:26 PM(UTC)

Can you please help me get CPT or medical codes for procedures of bone grafting as well as implants and dentures? My son needs a bone grafting procedure with implants to follow along with dentures due to his genetic medical condition. We were told to go through our medical insurance bc it’s due to his medical condition he needs these procedures and prosthesis. I need to appeal to insurance for pre approval. We have to work with 2 different medical professionals, one being a prosthodontist and the other an oral surgeon. Appreciate any and all help please!
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 8:23:47 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

You are correct on the crosscodes you already listed, and here are the remaining:

D0270 - bitewing - single radiographic image
can be cross coded to:
70300 - Radiologic examination, teeth; single view

D9230 - inhalation of nitrous oxide/analgesia, anxiolysis

D9230 does not have a crosscode, so since it sounds like your medical insurer is not accepting the "D" code on the medical claim (many medical insurers will process the "D" code on the medical claim when they are medically necessary procedures these days), you may consider:
01999 - Unlisted anesthesia procedure(s)
And heads up, some medical insurers will consider this included in the office visit (evaluation & management code) and will not pay it separately.

D2954 - prefabricated post and core in addition to crown

There are not direct crosscodes we are aware of for the procedures listed above, so you can either use the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure.

And since this is an accident case, you will want to provide ICD-10 diagnosis codes that describe the trauma to teeth, pain if present, and how the accident happened:

For the fractured teeth:
S02.5XXA - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for closed fracture
S02.5XXB - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for open fracture

If there was acute pain:
G89.11 - Acute pain due to trauma

And as for the code to describe how the accident happened, if you'd like to reply with some details about the accident i'm happy to offer you some coding options. There are codes for vehicle accidents, sports accidents, fights, falls, etc etc etc.

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2022 1:09:58 PM(UTC)

Hi,

My son had an accident, and his two front teeth were fractured. We have been having a two-year battle trying to get his claim paid.
The billing dept. of our dentist office said they cannot convert the dental codes into a medical codes. I am lucky I found this forum.

I need the below dental codes converted into CPT medical codes.

I have viewed a few already but want to double check.

D0140 = CPT99201 (new pt.) or CPT 99212 (est. pt.)
D0220 = CPT70300 (radiologic examination teeth single view)
D3310 = CPT41899 (unlisted procedure dentoalveolar structures)
D2740 = CPT41899 (unlisted procedure dentoalveolar structures)
D9944 = CPT41899 (unlisted procedure dentoalveolar structures)
D9230 =
D0270 =
D2954 =
D9230 =

Thank you
courtneydsnow Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 1:53:00 PM(UTC)

Hi Glenda!

D2740 - crown - porcelain/ceramic
D2950 - core buildup, including any pins when required
D0350 - 2D oral/facial photographic image obtained intra-orally or extra-orally
D6750 - retainer crown - porcelain fused to high noble metal
D6245 - pontic - porcelain/ceramic
D9944 - occlusal guard – hard appliance, full arch

The codes listed above do not have direct crosscodes we are aware of - many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps!